Sprint’s on-the-go customers are among the first in the world to experience the power and performance of true mobile 5G with the largest initial 5G coverage footprint in the U.S.
The next generation of wireless service is now here, delivering blazing-fast download speeds in areas of Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and Kansas City. In the coming weeks, Sprint also expects to launch service in areas of Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Phoenix and Washington, D.C., covering approximately 2,180 square miles and 11.5 million people total across all 9 market areas.
“Sprint 5G is here and we’re proud to give customers true mobility and the largest initial 5G footprint in the country,” said Sprint CEO Michel Combes. “This is a momentous day and just the start of what we can achieve with T-Mobile, together building a better, faster, nationwide mobile 5G network that benefits all U.S. businesses and consumers.”
Sprint 5G will power new experiences for wireless customers, from gaming and entertainment services, to IoT and business applications. Today service is available in the following locations:
• Atlanta: Sprint 5G covers approximately 150 square miles and 565,000 people from downtown to Dunwoody!
• Dallas-Fort Worth: Sprint 5G covers approximately 575 square miles and 1.6 million people across the greater Dallas-Fort Worth area serving Irving and downtown Fort Worth, including Sundance Square, Las Colinas, and the North Dallas area from Preston Hollow to Addison.
• Houston: Sprint 5G covers approximately 165 square miles and 800,000 people across the cultural center of Houston from downtown to Memorial City Mall/City Centre Plaza.
• Kansas City: Sprint is the first wireless operator to launch 5G in its hometown, with service covering approximately 225 square miles and 625,000 people from downtown Kansas City, MO, to Overland Park, KS where the company is headquartered.
At the foundation of Sprint 5G is Massive MIMO, a breakthrough technology that dramatically improves network capacity. Sprint is using 64T64R (64 transmitters 64 receivers) 5G Massive MIMO radios from Ericsson in Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and Kansas City. These radios support split-mode, enabling Sprint to simultaneously deliver LTE Advanced and 5G NR service. Sprint’s 5G Massive MIMO radios run on its 2.5 GHz mid-band spectrum, and they are deployed on Sprint’s existing 4G cell sites, providing a nearly identical footprint for both 2.5 GHz LTE and 5G NR coverage.
Fredrik Jejdling, Executive Vice President and Head of Networks, Ericsson, said: “Ericsson is working together with Sprint to unleash the power of 5G on Sprint’s network. Our 5G Massive MIMO radios will provide Sprint users with a true next-generation experience, enabling advanced applications for businesses and consumers.”
The Hottest 5G Devices
Sprint is building one of the largest 5G device portfolios in the U.S. to give customers more choice in how they access 5G. Customers can experience 5G mobility and blazing-fast download speeds with LG V50 ThinQTM 5G, HTC 5G Hub, and this summer, Samsung Galaxy S10 5G.
“We’re thrilled to offer the first truly mobile 5G network experience in the U.S. with innovative devices from some of the world’s leading manufacturers,” said Dr. John Saw, Sprint CTO. “With Massive MIMO and our mid-band spectrum, Sprint customers will have a great experience that isn’t limited to small pockets of millimeter wave 5G coverage.”
Sprint is building one of the largest 5G device portfolios in the U.S. to give customers more choice in how they access 5G.
Using a key 5G technology, dual-connectivity (EN-DC), Sprint is delivering 4G LTE and 5G simultaneously to customers’ devices, enabling faster download speeds than before and a better overall experience on capable devices. Additional features include:
• LG V50 ThinQ 5G offers striking clarity and vibrant colors with LG’s OLED display and great audio quality via stereo speakers, DTS:X 3D Surround and Hi-Fi Quad DAC. Gamers can enjoy all the rich graphics and fast-moving fun of their favorite games without delays, whether they’re playing in the living room or at the bus stop. With Sprint’s limited time pricing, LG V50 ThinQ 5G is just $24 per month with $0 down with Sprint Flex lease – that’s half off the lease price.1
• HTC 5G Hub is exclusive to Sprint in the U.S. This unique and powerful device enables smooth 4K video streaming for an amazing TV viewing experience, lower latency, virtually buffer-free gaming, and 5G mobile hotspot connectivity for up to 20 users in a compact desktop box with a 5-inch display. Within the Wi-Fi radius of HTC 5G Hub, non-5G devices such as laptops, tablets, phones and TVs can easily experience the speed of Sprint 5G. HTC 5G Hub is just $12.50 per month – that’s a savings of 50%. Customers can activate HTC 5G Hub with 100 GB of high-speed data for just $60 per month for a limited time.
• Samsung Galaxy S10 5G – Sprint customers can also experience Sprint 5G on Samsung Galaxy S10 beginning this summer.