Indosat Ooredoo, Indonesia’s leading digital telco, has launched 5G commercial services in Makassar. This launch is a continuation to power Indonesia’s 5G revolution, following the previous launch of 5G commercial services in Solo, Jakarta, and Surabaya.
The first Indosat Ooredoo commercial 5G services in Eastern Indonesia is part of a partnership with Huawei to revive key local economic sectors, specifically the agriculture, trade, and tourism sectors.
President Director and CEO of Indosat Ooredoo, Ahmad Al-Neama, inaugurated the launch of 5G commercial services in Makassar, attended by distinguished dignitaries, including Minister of Investment/Chairman of Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), Bahlil Lahadalia; Acting Governor of South Sulawesi, Andi Sudirman Sulaiman; and CEO of Huawei Indonesia, Jacky Chen. Strict health and social distancing protocols were enforced throughout the event.
President Director and CEO of Indosat Ooredoo, Ahmad Al-Neama, said, “I am deeply humbled and proud to launch Indosat Ooredoo’s 5G commercial services in Makassar to continue the 5G revolution across the country, reaching Eastern Indonesia. This technology will open up huge opportunities for the locals to revive the economy across industries at the epicenter of trade in Eastern Indonesia, ranging from agriculture, trade, and tourism sectors. With the presence of 5G connectivity, we continue our commitment to power digital transformation to strengthen Indonesia’s economic recovery in this challenging time.”
Minister of Investment/Chairman of Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), Bahlil Lahadalia, said, “We appreciate Indosat Ooredoo’s commitment in providing 5G commercial services in Makassar as the trading hub of Eastern Indonesia. The support of 5G technology provides the availability of an important communication infrastructure for investors. Of course, this also reflects the equitable distribution of development in eastern Indonesia which has moved towards Smart City and Industry 4.0. We hope this 5G technology can be leveraged effectively to drive innovations across various sectors, boost exports, create jobs, and enable swift recovery. In turn, these improvements will lay the foundations for robust economic growth and digital economy in the coming years.”
Acting Governor of South Sulawesi, Andi Sudirman Sulaiman, said, “We are proud to see 5G technology finally reached Makassar, thanks to Indosat Ooredoo and Huawei. We believe this 5G technology will improve the productivity of the locals and help boost the local economy. Such technology will transform the way industries operate, businesses create values, and consumers access products and services. Hopefully, the launch of 5G commercial services can bring huge benefits to the people of Makassar and Eastern Indonesia.”
CEO of Huawei Indonesia, Jacky Chen, said, “It is an honor for Huawei to be trusted to support the launch of 5G services in Makassar, which is the largest city as well as the center of trade, business, and industry in Eastern Indonesia. This is the second time we have supported the commercialization of Indosat Ooredoo’s 5G services in Indonesia after previously in Solo, Central Java. Support for our trusted partner Indosat Ooredoo is a manifestation of Huawei’s ongoing commitment to helping build Indonesia as a developed country based on innovation, becoming more intelligent and connected, and opening up digital economic opportunities throughout the country, which we believe will be accelerated with the support of 5G technology.”
The advent of Indosat Ooredoo 5G commercial services in Makassar also features some of the most advanced use cases, including:
· Smart City & Digital Lifestyle: 5G technology is a turning point in the evolution of Makassar as a Smart City as it will enhance citizen lifestyle and collaboration. Sample use cases, including Mixed Reality Entertainment, Bullet Moment Photograph, Smart TV, Immersive Live Streaming Video, and Interactive Learning Experience.
· Digital Agribusiness: 5G technology is a turning point in the evolution of the agriculture industry as it will enable Autonomous Irrigation and Smart Farming with greater accuracy and less waste. Sample use cases, including real-time soil and climate monitoring system, autonomous irrigation and fertigation, and automatic compound fertilizer.
· Smart Commerce & Trading: 5G will drive accessibility and development of other technologies, such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT), which will offer a seamless customer experience while minimizing operational costs for traders/retailers. Sample use cases, including Fleet Management System.
· Digital Tourism & Hospitality: 5G will bring tourism & hospitality to the next level by becoming connected on every level. Sample use cases, including Digitiket.
· Smart Industry 4.0: 5G will shape Industry 4.0 with new technologies, such as cloud-based and edge computing systems, making big promises on their ability to optimize processes and create values. Sample use cases, including Smart Manufacturing, Industrial Automation, and Active Safety Management Solution.