Why need to create restore point on Windows 11?
A system restore point is a backup copy of important Windows operating system (OS) files and settings that can be used to restore the system to an earlier point in time in the event of a system failure or instability. In general, it is recommended that you create a system restore point before installing new software or changing settings on your PC.
Two ways to create Windows 11 system restore point
In this part, I will introduce 2 methods to show you how to create a system restore point in Windows 11. One is to use free third-party software, and the other is to use utilities built into Windows. Read on for more details.
#1. Create restore point for all Windows with third-party tool [easier way]
There is a solid free backup software that can help you easily create a system restore point. AOMEI Backupper Standard allows you to create restore points to any other storage devices such as internal/external hard drives, SSDs, SD cards, network locations, NAS, etc. You can also set up automatic backups of your system to be Daily, Weekly and Monthly.
Besides backing up your system, you can also use it to back up files, partitions and disks on your computer.This powerful freeware also works well on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP.
You can refer to the following procedure to create a system restore point in Windows 11 with AOMEI Backupper Standard.
- Download and install AOMEI Backupper on your computer. Launch it and you will see a dark blue interface. Click Backup in the left panel and then select System Backup in the right panel.
- It automatically selects the system partition and boot-related files as the source. You just need to choose the destination where you want to save this system restore point.It is recommended to back up to cloud to reduce local disk memory pressure.
Tips: There are also 3 options in the lower left corner where you can customize the system backup task.
- Options: you can add comments to your backup here, and compress or split the backup files. In the premium version it also allows you to encrypt backups to protect your data privacy.
- Backup Scheme: It offers you three backup methods – full, incremental or differential backup, the latter two of which save disk space at the target destination.
- After confirming all settings, click Start Backup to start creating a system restore point in Windows 11.
- Restore system with AOMEI Backupper
After creating a system restore point with AOMEI Backupper, you can use the previously created system backup to restore your computer to a working state if you encounter problems such as failed installation of system updates or data corruption in the future. Go to Restore ->Select Task or Select Image File.
#2. Create restore point with Windows built-in utility
On Windows 11, System Restore is a long-standing feature whose purpose is to create a snapshot of your computer’s current working state and save it as a “restore point” when certain events are triggered.
System Restore is disabled by default, you need to manually enable this feature to use it to create system restore points.When you enable System Restore on Windows 11, your system will automatically create a restore point whenever you make any changes to your system (such as installing updates, etc.).
- Press Win + R to open Run dialog box. Type cpl and press Enter.
- Then select System Protection in the System Properties window. Select the Local Disk (C:) (System) drive and click the Configure
- Then click Turn on system protection in the Restore Settings. Click Apply and OK to save the changes and close the window.
- The system restore function is now enabled on the drive you selected. Windows now automatically creates system restore points when you install apps or update your PC.
- If you want to manually create a system restore point, open the System Properties window and select the drive on which you want to create a system restore point from the drives listed under the Protection Settings. Then click the Create
This article gives you 2 ways to create a system restore point in Windows 11. After comparison, considering the convenience of operation and the comprehensiveness of computer protection, it is recommended that you use AOMEI Backupper to create a system restore point.
What’s more, Windows built-in System Restore utility creates a restore point once a day. You cannot set the frequency yourself.The system restore point created by System Restore does not include your personal files and folders. You can use Disk Backup of AOMEI Backupperor cloud backupto back up all your important data including operating system.