Research from EE reveals that sunnier days means more smashed screens, as Brits are 46% more likely to have a screen damaging accident during the warmer months. With summer on the way, EE comes to the rescue with its industry-leading in-store superfast repair service, as the research also reveals that nearly a quarter of us look down on someone with a smashed device.
The average time people put up with a smashed phone screen is 49 days before getting it fixed, though a third of people can’t bear going a day without their phone, according to the research. With more action-packed warmer months to come in parks and rooftop bars, EE is urging people to take advantage of its industry-leading in-store same-day repair service rather than tolerating a smashed screen- available to everyone, on any network.
Cracked screens not only look unsightly, but the research finding also reveals those who fail to repair their screens are at a disadvantage across a number of different areas of life. Almost one in six people aged under 35 refuse to go on a second date with somebody after seeing their cracked screen. One in 10 would deny someone a second job interview.
Beer gardens are the most common destination for screen smashes with younger adults most likely to break their phone when out at the pub. Whereas those aged 35-54 are most likely to have their phone broken after handing it to their child to keep them entertained.
Phones falling out of pockets at festivals, being dropped while taking a beach selfie and even being snatched by seagulls are among the other ways Brits have smashed their screens, according to the research.
EE hopes its new nationwide in-store superfast repair service will help Brits make the decision to get their phone repaired rather than replaced as the research also shows 60% of phone users favour replacing a broken phone with a new one. The rollout means over three quarters of the population will be within a 30-minute drive of an EE store. They’ll be able to get their phone fixed in as little as 2 hours or collect it the next day.
Bridget Lea, Managing Director of Commercial at EE, said: “Our superfast in-store repair service means customers can avoid the shame of a smashed screen and get back to enjoying the summer within a few hours.
“Choosing to repair, reuse and recycle also means we’re all doing our part to help address the rising e-waste challenge.”
EE’s research delves further into the UK’s cracked screens by enlisting chief ‘Crackologist’ to analyse the different types of screen smashes to identify what they say about the owner.
EE’s Crackologist, Serkan Hassan, using his cracking expertise and knowledge has deciphered six of the most popular phone smashes this summer, and explains what the cracks say about the clumsy owner:
1. The Rooftop Raver: The Worm will be your signature dance move – even if your friends say otherwise. You flop to the floor at every opportunity, not letting past failures stand in the way of a possible win. You’re helped to your feet (again) and check your phone. A small, webbed crack takes centre screen. Better than another chipped tooth.
What it says about you: Do first, think later. You have zero embarrassment when it comes to telling the EE guys you smashed your screen *again* – next time, you’ll nail it. Enthusiasm > Skill.
2. The Summertime Skater: You saw those people skating to Fleetwood Mac on TikTok and thought – that’s a bit of me. To be fair, so did half the nation. Except smooth and effortlessly cool you were not. Grazed, bruised and sore with a seriously smashed up phone screen? That’s more like it.
What it says about you: You’re a happy-go-lucky, say-yes type. Lucky for you, your phone takes most of the batterings. Afterall, smashed up screens are easier to fix than smashed up bones.
3. The Festival Fanatic: Have you even festival’d if you don’t smash your phone? You’re well versed in parting fellow dancers like the Red Sea and see no shame in a mid-set hands and knees search. You find your phone sporting a new Pyramid shaped smash – the sign of a very good Glastonbury indeed.
What it says about you: You dance like nobody’s watching and mosh like you don’t have valuables in unzipped pockets. Your next purchase after fixing your screen? A bum bag. If it goes with your outfit.
4. The Taxi Tumbler: Taxis and elegance never go hand in hand. It’s always when you’re running late that you forget your phone in your lap and let it tumble to the curb as you exit. The *smash* sound brings you back to reality (as does the full-on half screen crack and pixelation).
What it says about you: More haste, less speed. Time to press the pause button and do something for yourself – like grabbing a cup of coffee and a book while waiting for your screen to be sorted by EE.
5. The Selfie Lover: What’s the nemesis of a long-armed selfie guru? Greasy finger food. A quick attempt at an after-burger snap results in a clean streaking crack straight up your screen. Luckily you get the perfect sad selfie to immortalise this moment forever.
What it says about you: Where there’s a will, there’s a way. You refuse to buy a selfie stick, even at the EE team’s recommendation, opting for a screen protector and rubber case instead.
6. The Toddler Tamer: Has anyone tried to wrestle Cocomelon from a toddler and lived to tell the tale? Either your phone or you will escape unharmed, but never both. You look at the new, small crack in the bottom corner. Another happy reminder of blissful parenting.
What it says about you: You have the patience of a saint and negotiating skills that could get you cast on CSI. Nipping out to get your screen replaced without the kids feels like a holiday. Why do EE have to do it so quickly?