Cavium, Inc., a global provider of semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for enterprise, data center, wired and wireless networking, has announced that it will showcase its wide array of complementary technologies for SDN, NFV and C-RAN targeting advanced 4G and 5G networks using Cavium’s ThunderX COTS ARMV8 processors, OCTEON Fusion-M baseband processors, OCTEON Multi-Core Processors, LiquidIO Intelligent NICs and LiquidSecurity key management solutions at this week’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain.
The ability to seamlessly integrate new technologies such as Network Function Virtualization (NFV) which removes the constraints of fixed function network components and allows scalable multi-function networks, Cloud RAN (C-RAN) a special use case of NFV for centralizing and managing varying Radio Access Nodes, Mobile Edge Computing (MEC) for increasing autonomy and decision making at the edge of the network provides an innovative and scalable solution for many of the issues faced by carriers as they expand existing networks and look to the needs of the 5G future.
The significant demand for faster data rates, increased security and lower latency connections is fueling the demand for dramatically improved technologies to play key role in 4G networks and will be fundamental to 5G architectures.
“The challenges inherent in next-generation carrier networks will be simplified by virtualization technologies including NFV and SDN,” said Linley Gwennap, Principal Analyst of The Linley Group. “Cavium’s ThunderX server processors are optimized for these workloads, making them well suited for NFV deployments.”
Cavium will exhibit the following technology solutions at MWC 2016 Booth 2M33:
• Carrier grade NFV: Fully OPNFV compliant MontaVista Carrier Grade NFV showcasing a complete E2E Cloud-RAN solution on a highly scalable ThunderX ARMv8 NFV server processor.
• SDN, NFV Cloud / Centralized RAN: Fully Programmable, low latency SDN–based RAN solution for LTE and 5G based on ThunderX workload optimized server processors and single chip OCTEON Fusion-M Smart Radio Head solutions supporting multiple C-RAN splits including RLC, MAC-PHY. The demo also showcases RAN orchestration and dynamic resource allocation using SDN control.
• Multimode MacroCell on a Chip: OCTEON Fusion-M multimode “Macrocell Basestation on a Chip” for LTE Rel12/WCDMA/GSM.
• Telco Cloud and NFV acceleration: Liquid IO intelligent server NIC cards offloading multiple functions including IPSec, OVS, Service Function Chaining and DPI.
• Security as a Service for Telco Cloud: LiquidSecurity appliance for high performance security and comprehensive key management in the cloud.
“Mobile World Congress 2016 is a unique opportunity for our OEM customers and Service Providers to see the exciting silicon and software products from Cavium,” said Syed Ali, President & CEO of Cavium. “The rapid increase in mobile data and the move to NFV and 5G necessitates a new generation of silicon solutions with massive increases in throughput and security for wireless infrastructure.”